Wednesday 1 December 2010

A Sigh of Relief...

...and back to face the fallout.


It's been a tough week, to say the least, but at last I feel slightly relieved and ready to put pen to paper, or fingers to keys as the case may be.

As mentioned in my previous post, Chloe was due to come down to the Evelina again to be admitted. It didn't happen for sometime, but on Monday she was brought down.
Now usually when I go to see Chloe in hospital, I'm quite prepared; I think it's fair to say I've seen her in an array of conditions, from being tube fed for months on end, right through to her running away from me.

For some reason, this visit was different. For the past few months Chloe's been getting better and better and better. Almost too good to be true, and I'm sure my happiness has come through in my writing at each milestone.
To see her, only a month or so ago walk up a flight of stairs, to seeing her on Monday was a shock to the system. It was like looking back in time, back to 2008 before she had DBS.

This time, I felt I needed to be with her as much as possible, to monitor her progress, and also make her, and my mums long stay in hospital a little bit more entertaining. I'm not saying I danced around balancing chairs on my head, but you know what I mean. Tuesday wasn't much better, and the worry continued; talks of the probes in her brain moving, or her stimulator breaking were bouncing around our heads. It wasn't nice.

She had also turned her stimulator around for the second time! Mad how she managed to do such a thing...
They turned that back over, x-rays and all that palaver. So, what had caused her to 'go wrong'?keeping with the theme of bionic sister..
Was it the probes in her brain moving? Mechanical Failure? Condition Progression? Meds Withdrawal? We just didn't know.

Today was a different story. I arrived at the hospital in the afternoon, and Chlo wasn't uncontrollably flailing about the bed, she was still; relaxed. From the first second I saw her I knew my faith in Dr. Lins team had been boosted once again. They'd changed her settings again, back to what they were over the summer, and increased her dose of diazepam. 'Normality' is in sight once again.

So it's all very well being at the hospital all the time, but my room was a tip and my work slipping slightly. I kind of forgot about that part of my life! However, I've sorted my room and my work is due to be back on track very soon. Epic win.

So I'll stop bumbling on and tell you some anecdotes of the week, some actual shenanigans.

Last week saw the bubble wrap party! Picture a room covered in bubble wrap, as well as everyone in it. Thats a recipe for a fun night, and it was indeed!
Of course there's the topic of the week, snow, to talk about. We didn't get as much as everyone else down here in London, however it was enough...

... enough to have a midnight snowball fight much to the disgust of the residents on Heathwood Gardens, and also to make a tasteful snow sculpture in the garden. Fun times! So I'll leave you with my picture of the week, and grab some shut eye for tomorrow!



Write soon!

Flan x

1 comment:

  1. Yeah - rather like being taken to great heights and then dropped isn't it? Poor Chloe and poor Bro and Parents.
    Such a relief that Chloe is in the best possible place. She has a lot of love in her life and the most devoted family.
    Snow........ yeah - doing that now...... Brrrr.

    ReplyDelete