Sunday 17 October 2010

Home straight!

I'm writing from my abnormally tall bed in Loughborough. You weren't expecting that, were you? Well, to be honest, neither was I.
After last years slow settle in to the hustle and bustle of London, I think subliminally, this year I felt as if I had to prove my self sufficiency to everyone (and myself) by leaving in a dramatic manner screaming I wasn't returning till at least Christmas. Well, not quite... however I didn't expect to be back in the home town quite so soon.

Let me make one thing clear. Living with other people isn't easy. I naively skipped merrily into this year thinking it was all going to be fun and games, which to be honest, it mainly is. However everyone has different ideas and ways of living, and inevitably this can cause friction. Especially in a house full of males where dominance is some kind of continuous battle. I'm losing.

Don't get me wrong. I adore my housemates and living in London, however with nothing to do, day in, day out, the most ridiculous and trivial things start to become like the riots between the EDL and their opposing union. 'It's your turn to do the washing up!' 'No it's not, it's yours!'

Now lets shut up and do the damn washing up! We did.

It's time to return to uni next week, and that will occupy us and offer us some structure to our lives. This takes me on to the topic of Ravensbourne College... Sorry! Not college; Ravensbourne Institute of Digital Media and Innovative Design. Wow that's a pretentious new title.

We had our induction last week and our first glimpses into our brand spanking new home located next to the O2 in North Greenwich. I've been quite sceptical about the move for the past few months. I've heard pretty negative rumours about the place and they seemed to set in. However after I'd actually seen the place... wow.

The new facilities we have are amazing, and literally every piece of equipment is brand new and industry standard. Post production I have decided is my new house, with the sound studio being my holiday home. Our new HD studio looks wicked and I can't wait to work with the footage coming from there.

Things are going to be very different from last year though. No longer will we be able to 'nip across' to the studio or the gallery to drop off a tape to the VT op, or to check a timecode. If we want to 'nip' we'll probably have to take around 15 minutes out of our schedule. Maybe these journeys will be unnecessary though with our new tapeless workflow and MAM.

It all works in principle, but will it in practise? Time will tell!

I can't wait to get started now, bring on the workload!

Write soon,
Flan x

2 comments:

  1. you do the washing up...but yeah this house is pretty mental, also i how we are portrayed in this blog. "dominance is some kind of continuous battle. I'm losing." your not losing, we are all losers for fighting over the washing up lol!
    miss you and see ya later,

    Andy SHEAHAN! RAWWW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... great blog, well written and fantastic attitude, shared by Andy. Can't go wrong with mates like that!
    ENJOY! :-D The new building sounds great - you will soon break it in, like a fav; pair of shoes! Won't be Raw for too long! (Whoops sorry, couldn't resist!)
    Now chaps - play nicely, give each other a manly slap on the shoulder and get stuck into that new place, yours to make what it will become - even greater place of excellence. Take what it offers and give more back! Great! EXCITING, BRING IT ON................

    ReplyDelete